Saturday 1 November 2014

Running the track..

Oh my goodness the day is finally here; fitness test day and the start of the Miss Galaxy Universe. Arghhh the nerves are setting in big style now and i don't know what to do with myself! I am sort of flying around like a headless chicken not really know what to do. Chill and calm down should be my first option but mum and I have just got to get going and drive down to Crawley now and I DO NOT want to be late. Its like your first day of school and your so eager to be on time, or you'll get told off! lol

Last night was a bit of a whirlwind as well as I had my final run through with Emma at Studio ELB; a full dress rehearsal and then i went off and got myself tangoed (once again) at the Tanning Station with Elise. It was déjà vu all over again!! This time i made sure i had the right clothing; didnt want any white lines on my legs whilst driving afterwards.

Pre fake-bake! Just polishing off my geisha skills
I spent the night with my mum and stepdad as it seemed more logical for the early start the next day. I had steak, brown rice and vegetables waiting for this little oompaloompa when I got there. The steak, oh my god was my first bit of red meat in months, so when i ate it I made sure i savoured every last little bit of it.

We arrived at the Travelodge in Crawley right next to GAtwick North Terminal and i had to wait for registration to open. I met a couple of lovely girls, who put my mind at ease a little with the fitness tests and what was to be expected. The support from the show is incredible already and we haven't even got anywhere. It was also nice to be around lots of other ladies who were tangoed and preened just as much as i was. It's surreal but a nice feeling. 

Once we'd registered etc and got our competition numbers, there was a fair bit of waiting around before we needed to go to the track. Granted mum and I got there ridiculously early! oopsie. So mum and I just chilled in the room; then my friend Becks came up and chilled with us too. Becks has been training so hard for a lot longer than I have, and her transformation is incredible. So proud of her and was going to be cheering her from the sidelines in her fitness tests.

Getting ready to pump the arms in the fitness tests.
Once we got to the track, we all had to wait a little while whilst things got set up and then Chris and Sarah ran us through the set up, bonus stations and where we needed to be etc. The weather was amazingly warm for Halloween, so the crop top and shorts weren't a bad idea. Little did we know that the temperature would drop and turn into the Arctic by 8pm!!  
So the way the fitness tests were set up was really good. There were 8 groups of 8 girls (as there are 8 lanes!!) and each group would do their discipline first followed by the next group. The whole thing was organised to perfection and it all ran incredible smoothly; thanks to Sarah Donohue and her A-team.

First off was the 800m followed by the long jump. Bearing in mind most of the girls in the fitness tests hadnt stepped out on a track since high school - it was an amazing achievement. My butt was shaking ready to get started, so to calm myself I was breathing heavily. Donna Kissei beat me in the first race - just on the last bit of home straight - I could see a shadow but then she appeared!

All the GG's getting ready to pound the track hard!!
Next test, after everyone had completed their long jumps and 800m was the 400m followed by however many press ups you could do in a minute. That was tough, but my timer was excellent and made sure that I was doing the fitness tests properly each rep. 2nd to last discipline was the 200m then how many squat thrusts in a minute. By this time the temperature had started to drop and turned slightly chilly. This was where the crop top and shorts was a bad idea.  This test was the hardest - after all we had done already, to then do squat thrusts, which are by far my least favourite exercise! But there was no complaining as we had to suck it up and just crack on with it. No woosies in this fitness test!

Final test was the dreaded 100m then however many sit ups in a minute. This was hard after all of the other races we had done but it had the the longest wait and by then it was really cold. But i managed to run the 100m 15.03 seconds. This is the best result I've ever done on 100m, not even in high school did I achieve that.. I am simply over the moon with that. 

My mum did a bit of cheeky filming of the tests, so once i've edited the shots and seen it in full - I'll upload them on here  and on Youtube.

After the tests had finished it was back to the Travelodge for food, a little tipple, tanning and then to bed. We needed to make sure we were rested, ready for the big show today at the Hawth Theatre.  With regards to my tanning however, this is where my mum had to step in.. but in hindsight i don't think it thought it through. There are things mothers should never do for their children and tanning your entire body is not one of them! Oh dear, i'm sure you can imagine the stories my children will endure one day! haha 

I was really looking forward to the show on saturday, spending some quality time with the Galaxy girls backstage. I needed to practise my routine...so I made sure that practise makes perfect!

Till next time;
Little miss fitness 

Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment